Student Loans with
Dr. Tony Bartels
Interview conducted by: Dr. Melissa Boyer
Tony Bartels, DVM, MBA, graduated in 2012 from the Colorado State University combined MBA/DVM program and is an employee of the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) and a VIN Foundation Board member. He and his wife have more than $400,000 in veterinary-school debt that they manage using federal income-driven repayment plans. By necessity (and now obsession), his professional activities include researching and speaking on veterinary-student debt, providing guidance to colleagues on loan-repayment strategies and contributing to VIN Foundation initiatives.
- National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS.ED.GOV)
- Department of Education: Borrowing, Consolidation, Repayment (studentloans.gov)
- VIN Foundation Student Debt Center: In-School Loan Estimator, My Student Loans, Loan Repayment Simulator (www.vinfoundation.org/studentdebtcenter)
- VIN Foundation Student Debt Blog, including playbook for getting started in repayment for new veterinary graduates (www.vinfoundation.org/blog)
- VIN Student Debt Folder: Database of consultations and personal consultations with anonymous posting options; open to veterinary students (free access) and veterinarians (paid membership).
- VIN News article on AVMA survey of 2018 graduating class: https://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=53451