Regulations for dogs and cats entering California

  |   Animal Health, State Regulatory

The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) would like to remind state officials and private veterinarians of California’s requirements regarding Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVIs) for dogs and cats entering California.

A CVI, also known as a health certificate, is not required for cats and most privately owned dogs being brought into California.

A health certificate is required only for persons bringing dogs into California with intent to sell or transfer ownership (California Health and Safety Code Section 121720). The health certificate must be completed by a licensed and accredited veterinarian within 10 days prior to the date of importation. The person seeking to bring a dog into the state must send a copy of the health certificate to the county health department in the county in which the dog is to be sold or in the county of residence of the person who is receiving the dog.

CVIs for dogs and cats should not be sent to CDFA or CDPH. CDFA and CDPH are not responsible for sending these certificates to counties.

Please refer to the CDPH Veterinary Public Health Section website for more information on dog and cat importation, including the rabies vaccination requirement.



Posted July 31, 2020