AVMA seeks volunteers for American Board of Veterinary Specialties
The AVMA is seeking volunteers to serve as members representing non-board certified veterinarians on the American Board of Veterinary Specialties (ABVS). The ABVS, a committee of the AVMA, is charged with recognition of both current and new organizations conducting board-certification of veterinarians in specialized fields of veterinary medicine. The committee membership of the ABVS, beginning in 2018, will include other groups with a stake in specialized veterinary medicine, including veterinarians in private practice, academic institutions, licensing boards, and the animal-owning public.
Three positions are open, representing small animal practice (1 year initial term); large animal practice (2 year initial term); and non-clinical practice (3 year initial term). Applicants for these positions must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be AVMA members
- May not be current or past diplomates of an AVMA-recognized veterinary specialty organization
- May not be actively pursuing board-certification
- May not be part of an organizing committee of an organization petitioning for AVMA-recognition as a veterinary specialty organization.
Appointments for these positions will be made from the pool of nominations received by the AVMA Board of Directors. Terms of membership will be staggered as shown above, with re-nomination and appointment possible for an additional three years. All of the new members will begin serving their terms in February 2018.
Members will be required to attend one in-person meeting of the ABVS at the AVMA headquarters in Schaumburg, Ill, (usually in late February or early March) and participate in phone- or web-based conference calls throughout the year.
Position details are as follows:
- Position: Veterinarian (non-board certified) representing small animal practice
Term: February 2018 – August 2019
- Position: Veterinarian (non-board certified) representing large animal practice
Term: February 2018 – August 2020
- Position: Veterinarian (non-board certified) representing non-clinical practice
Term: February 2018 – August 2021
For further information and nomination form, visit the AVMA website.
October 6, 2017