National Animal Health Reporting System (NAHRS) Steering Committee
The National Animal Health Reporting System (NAHRS) Steering Committee is currently looking for an interested veterinarian to represent the Western region. If you are interested, please contact Dr. Stan D. Bruntz, National Surveillance Unit, Centers for Epidemiology and Animal Health, USDA APHIS VS, Fort Collins, CO, phone 1-970-494-7246 or email Stanley.D.Bruntz@aphis.usda.gov.
NAHRS provides data on the presence of World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) Reportable Diseases in the US through its collaborative efforts between participating states, the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), the US Animal Health Association (USAHA) and USDA APHIS Veterinary Services.
The NAHRS Steering Committee consists of broad representation from state, industry and federal animal health personnel. This year, NAHRS is involved in several important issues, including:
- Development and implementation of a National List of Reportable Animal Diseases
- NAHRS reporting criteria and disease case definitions
- NAHRS EIA testing reporting to replace the annual request by USDA APHIS Veterinary Services for EIA testing data
- NAHRS expansion in 2009 to collect aquaculture information
- Expansion of NAHRS to collect summary level quantitative data on those diseases where current information gaps occur and there is a need for information, such as zoonotic diseases and emerging issues (Bluetongue, Trichomoniasis, EHD, EHV-1, etc.)
- NAHRS integration with other national reportable sources
- Validation of NAHRS data
Current representation includes Dr. Bruce Akey, NY, representing the Northeast, Dr. Tony Frazier, AL, representing the South, Dr. Steve Halstead, MI, representing the Midwest and Dr. Keith Roehr, CO, representing the West.
If you would like to list your volunteer opportunity on the WSVMA website please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (425) 396-3191. Thank you!